Carton Bros. was founded in 1775 when we commenced trading in the Dublin Markets. Shortly later, in 1807 we officially received our Poulters Licence setting us on a journey for many generations to come. This journey has spanned many events in Irish history, including The Great Irish Famine.
Throughout this period, Carton Bros. generously supplied the Dublin City area with fresh water from clean wells from their large farm out in Poppentree, Dublin 11, where IKEA sits today. In 1910 Carton Bros. set up on Halston Street. Housewives all over Ireland would send their chickens to us by rail knowing with confidence that they would receive their payment from the ever-trustworthy Carton Bros.
On the back of this great success the Manor Farm brand was born in 1938. Chicken as we know it today was introduced to Ireland by Carton Bros. with the concept of the ‘Spring Chicken’ being available all year around. In 1968 the hatchery in Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan was built, followed quickly by an investment in a state-of-the-art production site at Shercock, Co. Cavan and in 1976 Ireland’s only dedicated poultry feed mill was established, achieving complete integration for Carton Bros.